NOTE: If you do not have internet at all (check other devices) please see the internet troubleshooting information prior to proceeding. Please be aware these troubleshooting steps are for e-vergent issued Calix mesh units only. We do not support third party extenders nor do we suggest you utilize them with Calix routers. The Calix routers and mesh units are specifically designed to work together harmoniously.
More often than not, adding a third party extender does more harm than good by competing with the main router versus extending it’s coverage. If you require extended coverage and are in need of a mesh unit please contact us for assistance.
Identify your mesh unit
There are two types of mesh units we deploy. A calix 804 mesh (black) that pairs with the Calix 844e router. We also deploy a Calix U4m (white) which pairs with the U4 or U6 routers. The process for placing and connecting the units is nearly identical.
Placement of your mesh unit
The mesh unit must be placed in an area that has good WiFi coverage in order to work properly. If you are having trouble in a bedroom it would not be wise to place the mesh unit in that area as it will have the same weak signal and struggle to perform.
You want to place the unit somewhere in between the router and the area you need to extend coverage to. Additionally the higher you place it (and the router) the better coverage you will be able to get. Placing it higher allows it to broadcast above couches, beds, countertops, appliances, etc reducing the amount of material the signal must push through.
Connect your mesh unit to the router
See out mesh setup guide HERE or follow the instructions below:
- Once your mesh unit is placed and powered on move to your router
- Press and hold the WPS button on the router for 5 seconds and then let go
- The WPS button is located on the back of the U4 and U6 small protruding button
- The WPS button is located on the side of the 844e (circle button) the WPS indicator light should turn orange after letting go
- Immediately (within 60 seconds) move to the mesh unit and press and hold the WPS button for 3-5 seconds and let go. The devices will automatically pair.
- Ensure the placement/signal of the mesh unit is adequate
- On the 804mesh (black) there are four signal bad indicators. Optimally you want to see 3-4 green bars, 2 will also work if the situation requires it. If 3 are green and one is red it means you are too close to the router, move the unit further away.
- On the U4m (white) the light on the back will indicate whether the position is proper or not
- If the light is steady green it indicates the mesh unit is placed properly
- If the light blinks slowly it is too far away, move the unit closer to the router
- If the light blinks rapidly you are too close to the router, move the mesh unit further away
- Alternatively if you have ethernet run throughout your house you can wire the mesh unit.
- Ensure the device is powered up
- Ensure the mesh unit is properly positioned
- Reboot the unit
- Using the above guide attempt to reconnect the mesh unit to the router
We are happy to help!
If these basic troubleshooting steps do not help please do not hesitate to contact our 24×7 support at 888-782-1454 Option 1. Alternatively if the issue is not time sensitive you can email us here, we will respond to your request as quickly as possible M-F 8AM to 4:30PM.